Thought Bruges was a boring old town with overly crowded squares and boring museums? Think again, Bruges has plenty of things to offer for the hipster in all of us. Bruges resident Valerie tells us where to go.
- For all the caffeinheads: Li-o-lait: This nice little coffee house started the hip movement in Bruges when it opened and blew dusty Bruges away and served matcha drinks, beautiful lattes and delicious teas. Delicious pastries come freshly baked, straight from the Ghent based popular Julie’s House.
- For breakfast, brunch, lunch, or just because you’re hungry: Sanseveria bagel salon: Young entrepreneur Bert serves bagels like you’ve never had them before and gives them names so beautiful you want to try them all at once! Service comes with a smile and friendly advice about the ingredients.
- For those who want to feel like Gatsby himself: cocktails at Groot Vlaenderen: Entering this extraordinary cocktail bar is like entering another world. Enjoy the beautiful decor and fancy clientele while sipping a perfectly made cocktail. Try the Belgian Lazy Red Cheeks if you want the perfect combination of wodka and raspberries to swoon you away!
- For the sweet tooths: delicious sweetness at Oyya: Winter, spring, summer or fall, all you have to do is call Oyya and try their delicious homemade desserts that will make you want to come back every day! Crispy Belgian waffles, dazzling frozen yoghurt and fresh homemade icecream, with every topping you can imagine.
- For the haute cuisine food lovers on a budget: Tom’s Diner and Nxt Door: Two different restaurants in one place, depending on what you feel like eating. Go to Tom’s Diner to enjoy authentic Flemish comfort food, or literally go Nxt Door to experience a fancy street food menu.
- For the Belgian spirit: fries at the Market Square: Have your Belgian fries like you never had them before at The Potato Bar. Freshly cut by Ramses and Kevin, with fresh toppings and delicious sides. They also serve great drinks at the bar.
- For drinks or dinner with big groups: Republiek: Perfect for drinks after an alternative movie at Cinema Lumière, afterwork drinks, an afternoon coffee or beers to start the night: De Republiek serves young and old, hip and nerd, and local and exotic.
- For more beer than even you can drink: ’t Poatersgat: More than 120 beers in one weird cellar: that is ’t Poatersgat (literally “monk’s hole”) for you. Need I say more???
- For cosy times with tapas and great wine: Vino Vino: This place is perfect for catching up with your friends or relaxing after a busy day with delicious tapas, quality wine and a great atmosphere. Try the mini burgers and be swept away!
- For sunny days: Minnewater Park: If you happen to visit Bruges in the summer and you have a free afternoon: go grocery shopping for your favourite food and drinks, bring a frisbee and have a heavenly afternoon at the Minnewater Park. Socialize with friendly locals and enjoy the sun!